I decided to start the taco tour at Taqueria Moran because I am very familiar with it (I live just around the corner), and they have incredible tacos. I went with my friend Justin to get this taco tour, and inevitable flatulence thereafter, started.
The first thing about Moran’s that I love is the food on the table before you order. Their pickled vegetables (carrots, jalapenos, onions, cauliflower, garlic) are excellent, along with the pico de gallo and salsa verde, which are both pretty spicy.
Moran’s tacos come with just the basics – meat, onions, cilantro and lime. They aren’t overly seasoned and they have a grilled flavor that most places fail to achieve. First, I tried the carne asada taco, which is their flagship taco, in my mind. They are very simple, but grilled perfectly. The adobado is Moran’s version of al pastor. The adobo-marinated pork is juicy and slightly spicy. It is complimented with grilled onions and pineapple. I also tried the cabeza tacos (yes, I got head at Moran’s). These are unbelievably tender, with the texture of a home-cooked pot roast. They are the ultimate comfort food taco.
Justin knocked back a carne asada taco as well, and also tried the carnitas. He gave the experience a rating of 9, before peddling his dusty ass back to work….My only complaint about Moran’s is they close at 10:00 each night, so I can’t stumble in on my way back from the various watering holes of Logan Square….
Here’s the breakdown of our visit:
- Location: 2226 N. California Ave., Chicago, IL (Logan Square)
- Tourists: Josh, Justin
- Tacos sampled: carne asada, adobado (al pastor), cabeza, carnitas
- Toppings: onions, cilantro, lime
- Salsa: salsa verde, pico de gallo
- Extras: chips, pickled veggies
- Tortillas: corn, small
- Atmosphere: Authentic, Mexican feel. Mariachi-style music played in the background. Small tiki bar that nobody seems to ever be behind. Decent amount of seating. Good service.
- Price: $1.75/taco – there were several we didn’t try, including fish, chorizo, pollo, picadillo, lengua and chile relleno.
- OVERALL RATING: 9
I miss you Taqueria Moran.
Pingback: taqueria perejil | taco tourist