I grew up close to the Quad Cities. While Rudy’s Tacos were never a staple in my diet, I know that I’ve had it a few times, and I always get their commercial jingle stuck in my head (“come to Rudy’s Tacos”). So, I decided to give it a whirl….
Basically, it sucks. At least as a taco place. They only have two meats: chicken or beef. The beef is ground up and tasteless. The chicken is dry. The hot salsa isn’t as hot as the mild Taco Bell packets. AND, they put a pile of cheddar cheese on each taco. Blaspheme!
One cool thing, is their array of tortillas. They have both corn and flour. Each can come hard, soft, or medium (lightly fried), for a total of 6 tortillas types.
My advice, go with the quesadillas. My girlfriend seemed to enjoy them. Or, if you have to have tacos, maybe try the taco burger or the taco salad…
The low down:
- Location: 1108 42nd Ave., East Moline, IL (Quad Cities)
- Tourists: Josh, Julia
- Tacos sampled: beef, beef and bean, chicken and bean
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese
- Salsa: mild or spicy salsa roja (although both are mild)
- Extras: none
- Tortillas: flour or corn; hard, soft, medium
- Atmosphere: like a chain restaurant
- Price: $2.89-$3.25/taco
- OVERALL RATING: 5